Heavier individuals may have a more difficult time searching for the right top-quality mattress. Luckily, there’s a brand that was designed with your specific needs in mind.
Big Fig has developed a mattress that specifically caters to the unique needs of plus-size and taller figures. This hybrid bed is made with a top layer of ThermoGel Cooling Technology, gel-infused latex foam, three layers of high-density polyfoam, 1600 individually wrapped coils springs, high-density edge foam, and is focused on features like cooling, comfort, and enhanced support.
Keep reading our in-depth Big Fig bed overview to see how this mattress excels for heavier individuals, or scroll down to check out our summary and score.
Excellent Matches For Big Fig
- Heavier and Taller Individuals – This product was made with you in mind. The various layers implemented into the bed’s construction were designed for optimum support and to avoid sagging over time, making this a lasting choice for heavier folks.
- Hot Sleepers – This bed incorporates two cooling features that should keep those who normally find themselves throwing off the covers in a cool and comfortable state. The ThermoGel fabric and gel-infused latex foam were designed for enhanced airflow that hot sleepers should find accommodating.
- Hybrid Lovers – This product’s hybrid technology uses foam and coils to give support to those who have been unable to find it in other beds. The materials used in this product have been layered for top-quality support.
Possible Big Fig Considerations:
- It is too firm for lightweight people – DThis product was specifically designed and constructed for heavier and taller users, in particular when it comes to how firm and supportive the bed is. People with a lower weight and smaller frame may find the Big Fig model to be too firm, not allowing them to sink far enough into the comfort layers. For those who are smaller and want to try out this bed, you can use the 120-night trial period to determine if it’s a good fit for you.
Awards for Big Fig Mattress
Construction: What’s inside Big Fig?
People who are heavier will often wear a standard bed out faster. For this reason, the manufacturer has constructed this mattress with materials that should hold up well through the 20-year warranty.
The cover is blended with Thermogel treated fabric that draws heat away from the body, allowing sleepers to rest on an actively cool surface. It has also been hand tufted to help ensure that the construction does not shift over time.
- Below the cover is a layer of Gel-Infused Perforated Foam, which allows for maximum breathability and comfort.
- Further down you’ll find three sheets of poly foam for “no-sag” cushioning performance. This firmer layer adds necessary support and has an immediate response to pressure, so sleepers should never feel like they are sinking too deeply into this bed.
- The innerspring unit that follows consists of 1600 individually wrapped coils. This 8-inch layer performs well under pressure and provides deep level support, stability, and bounce.
- The base layer is made with high-density 80 ILD Edge Foam that equips this bed with extra supportive sides.
Included with every purchase is the Big Fig Foundation. The company claims this supports up to 5 times the weight of a standard foundation and can hold up to 1100 pounds.
First Impression: How Does It Feel?
The mattress is compressed and delivered to your doorstep. White glove delivery and mattress removal are available to interested customers for an additional charge.
The surface of the cover is white with a swirl design, and the perimeter and foundation are both navy blue. The cover should feel soft and plush.
When first lying down, you should feel well supported in a gentle cradle. As your body sinks into the layers, it should be met with support and bounce from the foam and coils.
Firmness Scale: 7.5/10
Your pressure points are the parts of the body where excess weight gathers and exerts pressure, which could become painful for some folks. All it takes is one night on a hard mattress to figure out where your pressure points are. Common spots include the hips, shoulders, and back.
While many people turn to memory foam when it comes to relieving pressure, all-foam beds tend to be too soft for bigger frames, lacking the support and durability they need.
The Big Fig brand took these special needs into consideration when designing this hybrid bed. Considering this product is made for folks who weigh in the 300+ lbs range, this bed’s target sleeper should experience it between a medium-soft and medium firmness with a good amount of pressure relief because higher weight concentrations can sink into materials easier.
Support is often a big struggle when it comes to those with heavier weight considerations. Without adequate support, all of their weight can sink through the layers and leave the spine in an awkward position, and if your spine is continually in poor alignment, this could develop into chronic, worsening pain over time.
The combination of firmer foams and pushback from the pocketed coils should provide a high level of support regardless of sleeping position. Being built for long-term durability and with internal tufting means you shouldn’t have to worry about the materials sagging or shifting over time.
This model is built with not one, but two, helpful cooling capabilities. The ThermoGel treated fabric on the bed’s cover, combined with the Gel-Infused Latex Foam, should keep from getting too hot during the night.
Exceptional Edge Support
The reinforced foam edges should make it so you can comfortably sleep on the edge without experiencing any sensations of rolling off. When sitting on the sides, the fear of bottoming out, even for heavier individuals, should never ever be an issue.
The responsive latex layer, firm poly foams, and pocket coils give this bed a good deal of bounce. This can help make it easy for sleepers to reposition during the night.
Adjustable Base Compatible
The foam edge supports in this product make it compatible with an adjustable base. For your convenience, the company manufacturers their own adjustable design as well.
Handcrafted in the USA
All products are manufactured in the brand’s factory located in Cleveland, OH.
This product is CertiPUR-US certified, which signifies that the foams have been certified by independent and accredited laboratories that test for standards in content, emissions, and durability.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping - Shipping is free within the continental United States. The company also ships to the most populous parts of Canada for an additional charge of $250.
- White-Glove Delivery - Professional installation is available for an additional $199, and if you’d like the company to remove your old mattress as well, that is available for $249.
- Trial - There is a 120 night trial period that permits customers to return the product for a full refund within this time period if they are not satisfied with their purchase.
- Warranty - This product comes with a 20-year warranty.
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 13”||$1,399|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 13”||$1,499|
|Full||54” x 75” x 13”||$1,599|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 13”||$1,799|
|King||76” x 80” x 13”||$1,999|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 13”||$1,999|
|Split King||76” x 80” x 13”||$2,799|
Big Fig’s targeted design and enhanced support make it a remarkable option for heavier folks.
Side sleepers often experience unwanted pressure on a bed due to increased weight in the hips and shoulders, so most enjoy a softer surface. Side sleepers in the average weight range may find that this option is too firm, but heavier individuals who this product is designed for should find that this option more than fulfills their needs.
Back sleepers should sense the foam cover filling in the spaces between their shoulders and their hips, while the latex conforms to the curves of the body. The back should feel well aligned and the support this bed provides should keep you comfortable all night long.
Stomach sleepers often do well with firmer beds, and although this bed is firm, heavier stomach sleepers could find they still need an even firmer bed. That being said, stomach sleepers should find that this elevates their hips, keeping their body comfortably aligned, and the top foam cushion provides a comforting contouring that stomach sleepers should enjoy.
Combination sleepers should find it easy to move around between positions throughout the night thanks to the responsive layers with a good amount of bounce. The versatility of this bed with a good balance of comfort and support should make it a good fit regardless of sleeping position.
For heavy couples looking for a mattress that can accommodate their combined needs, this could be a great fit. With a good deal of bounce and reinforced edge support, it has all of the features most couples are shopping for. The manufacturer does recommend a weight restriction of 1100 pounds for two sleepers and 550 pounds for individuals.
This bed was made with heavy individuals in mind, taking into account the top 9 problems that they typically face. This hybrid construction was built with durable, high-quality materials and has cooling properties, reinforced edge support, and a 20-year warranty to ensure the bed can withstand heavier frames for an extended period.
Unfortunately for those who have a smaller, lightweight frame, this will not be the best bed for you. This mattress is designed for heavier frames and would likely feel much too firm for individuals under 120 lbs, unless they prefer an extra firm feel. Lighter frames usually do best with a softer mattress.
Big Fig caters to the needs of heavier folks wanting a mattress that was designed with them in mind. The design incorporates a variety of materials and technology targeted at giving these individuals a great night's rest.
For those plus-sized individuals who’ve struggled to find the right mattress, we recommend looking into this uniquely designed product.