WinkBeds is the first mattress company to create a luxury bed specifically designed for people over 300 pounds.
The brand is passionate about changing the mattress industry, claiming to save customers two-thirds of the price of comparable in-store brands.
The WinkBed Plus is a hybrid mattress that combines foam and coils in its construction. This model has a total of six layers and is 13.5 inches tall. The materials in this bed include foams, latex, and individually wrapped coils.
The WinkBed Plus’ use of premium materials and a quality design mean this mattress is good for different plus-sized customers, hot sleepers, and married couples. Hot sleepers should appreciate the brand’s inclusion of temperature-regulating materials, such as Tencel, gel, and coils. Married couples will enjoy the Extra-Edge Support System of higher-gauge perimeter coils.
This in-depth review of WinkBed Plus will review the features that make this bed stand out and who we think it’s best suited for.
Keep reading to discover why this product excels for heavier individuals, or skip to see our summary and overall score.
Excellent Matches For the WinkBed Plus
- Individuals Over 300 Pounds – The WinkBed Plus mattress is tailor-made for heavier types of sleepers, from the foam densities to the supportive construction. It is designed to not sag over time, which is a risk for other brands.
- Folks Looking for Pressure Relief and Support – While many brands cater to either pressure relief or support, this bed does both with its hybrid design. The WinkBed Plus has six layers, including conventional foams, latex, and coils, and several layers of zoned support for added comfort and support.
- Hot Sleepers – Not only is the coil structure conducive to airflow, but the mattress is created with a Triple Layer Heat Disperse™ technology. This 3-layered system of cooling should ensure you rest comfortably. All WinkBed Plus mattresses are made with multiple cooling features, including Tencel, cooling gel, and coils.
Possible WinkBed Plus Considerations:
- It’s on the firmer side. – While this mattress is specially made for folks with larger frames, lighter-weight individuals may find this bed too firm. The good news is that WinkBeds offers three other firmness levels of this model: Softer, Luxury Firm, and Firmer to choose from if you weigh under 300 pounds.
- It’s thicker. – At 13.5 inches tall, the WinkBed Plus is going to put you well above the ground compared to some other models that may be closer to 10 inches high. If you’re used to slightly thinner beds, you may just need a little extra time to adjust. Plus, added layers make it heavier, so you may need some help carrying it from your doorstep to the bedroom.
- It’s Pricier – WinkBed Plus offers many advantages, but it is slightly more expensive than the standard WinkBed. This higher price point may put you off if you are shopping on a smaller budget.
Winkbed Plus on our Best Lists
Construction: What’s inside the Winkbed Plus?
Totaling 13.5 inches in height, the WinkBed Plus is significantly thicker than most beds sold online. The WinkBed Plus is made entirely in the USA, featuring an enhanced construction compared to the standard WinkBed model. The materials used in this bed include Hypersoft Foam, gel foam, Dunlop latex, dense support foams, coils, and Tencel.
Its high-quality, handcrafted construction is first visible on its cover, which is made of breathable Tencel and stretch-knit fabric. Tencel is an eco-friendly material made from eucalyptus trees that wicks away moisture. Not only is the cover functional, but it has a luxurious look with tufting and a polka-dotted section around the side.
- Below the cover is 1 inch of gel-infused hypersoft foam with a higher density of 1.8 pounds per cubic foot. The higher density creates an anti-sag effect.
- The comfort layeris made of an additional inch of highly dense premium gel foam to further minimize sagging.
- The transition layer features a 2.5-inch all-natural Dunlop latex support pad. This layer comes with seven support zones to give you added support in the areas you need it most. It also has an open-cell design, which should wick away heat from your body to keep you cool at night. According to the company, using latex will promote long-lasting durability for heavier individuals.
- The LumbarLayer is made from high-density foam. This layer prevents lower back sagging and promotes spinal alignment.
- The support layer is a 5-zone EliteEdge individually wrapped coil system. This layer is specifically designed to support heavier individuals. The reinforced springs should also help with durability. The coils along the perimeter in this layer are reinforced for edge support.
- The base layer is 1 inch of support foam for stability.
First Impression: How Does It Feel?
The Winkbed Plus arrives at your doorstep compressed in a box. When your new mattress arrives, you will have to take it out from the box and place it onto your bed frame.
The crisp, white pillowtop is offset by a navy blue polka-dotted finishing. The Tencel cover has button tufting across the surface and should feel soft and silky.
Testing out the bed, the surface should feel cool to the touch, thanks to the gel-infused foam designed to pull heat away from the body. The hybrid construction should help heavier sleepers feel well supported while also relieving muscle tension and pressure.
Firmness Scale: 6.5/10 (Medium-Firm)
Frustrating aches and pains can occur when excess pressure develops in heavier areas of the body when you lie down on a bed. This can be even more challenging for individuals with bigger frames since the entire body will sink in about one or two inches deeper than lighter frames. While heavier folks often prefer firmer beds that reduce the risk of bottoming out, a good balance of conforming to curves and supporting weight is needed for optimal results.
Winkbeds took this into consideration as they designed the tailored features for the Plus model. They included the high-density anti-sag gel foams on top. These foams, which are denser than other comfort foams, should provide pressure relief without compromising spine alignment. The foams are also quilted into the cover for a comfy Euro-style pillowtop to further promote pressure relief.
Support is equally important for heavier folks since they often sink through standard mattresses, causing malalignment of the spine and joints. This can reduce the quality of sleep and lead to chronic aches and pains. The Plus is equipped with a 7-Zoned Latex Support Layer in addition to the LumbarLayer for extra support in the lumbar region.
The main base of support comes from the 5-Zone EliteEdge individually wrapped coil unit that was designed specifically to meet the needs of larger frames with increased durability. These coils work by pushing back in areas of greater pressure and giving in areas of lighter pressure.
Multiple Firmness Options
Winkbed is available in Softer, Luxury Firm, Firmer, and Plus. The Plus model does have some slight variations that make it unique to the needs of heavier individuals.
This company recently updated their shipping process—now, all mattresses arrive compressed and rolled into a single box and require no assembly. All you have to do is remove the plastic wrapping and place the mattress on your frame, then watch as it takes shape. They’ve even taken extra measures to ensure there is no off-gassing, so you don’t have to worry about unpleasant odors. This means you can sleep on the bed as soon as it decompresses.
This hybrid’s EuroTop is designed with pressure-relieving capabilities that most innerspring models lack. The bed provides a more luxurious feel and helps to soothe pressure points, thanks to the extra cushioning.
Overheating is a common concern for plus-size sleepers since their body temperatures tend to run higher. The body prefers a cooler environment for sleep, so the company took extra measures by including a Tencel cover that is said to sleep 30% cooler than linen. The bed also has a gel-infused EuroTop that draws heat away from the body and individually pocketed coils for greater airflow and breathability.
Exceptional Edge Support
Some beds have 15% less sleeping space because the perimeter sags and leaves sleepers feeling like they’re about to fall off the edge. To prevent this, the company included its proprietary Extra-Edge™ Anti-Sag Support with increased stability across the entire surface. The Extra-Edge™ Anti-Sag Support is made of higher-gauge perimeter coils to ensure you feel supported along the sides.
Great Motion Isolation
For those who share a bed, sleep disturbance can be a genuine concern when your partner moves around. The layers of foam are designed to absorb motion, while the individually encased coils move independently to keep motion transfer at a minimum. This is beneficial for couples and those who sleep with kids or pets.
Heavier sleepers with mobility issues may worry about feeling “stuck” in the mattress or having trouble getting in and out. With bouncier latex foam and coils, there is a lot of responsiveness that should help with repositioning.
WinkBeds is devoted to the use of eco-friendly materials in all of its products. Using sustainably sourced materials and 10 to 20 times less water in manufacturing, the company is constantly looking for new ways to lower its carbon footprint.
Adjustable Base Compatible
This bed is compatible with nearly every type of frame, including adjustable bases.
Handcrafted in the USA
- Eco-Friendly Certifications – The bed’s foam layers meet the CertiPUR-US® standard, meaning that their manufacturing process avoids harmful materials such as lead, mercury, and formaldehyde. Additionally, the Tencel cover is OEKO-TEX® Standard 100, Class 1 certified. This means the cover has been evaluated and deemed safe for use in sleeping products and those used for children.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping - Persons in the continental U.S. can order the bed with free shipping and returns. There’s an extra fee for shipping to Alaska, and they do not ship to Hawaii.
- Trial - 120-night risk-free trial. If you return or exchange the mattress, you will no longer be eligible for additional 120-night trials as it’s limited to one mattress per customer. However, you will recieve a 60-night trial on the second mattress.
- Warranty - The WinkBed Plus comes with a Lifetime Limited Warranty. It’s limited to one replacement per mattress purchased.
|Size||Dimensions (inches)*||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 13.5”||$1,349|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 13.5”||$1,449|
|Full||54” x 75” x 13.5”||$1,699|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 13.5”||$1,999|
|King||76” x 80” x 13.5”||$2,199|
|Cal King||72” x 84” x 13.5”||$2,199|
WinkBed’s quality design and support make it an exceptional option for heavier folks. Twin and Twin XL sizes weigh 75 and 85 pounds, respectively. The other four sizes weigh more than 100 pounds, with King and Cali King being the heaviest at 145 pounds.
Side sleepers need to have a mattress that can accommodate condensed pressure in smaller areas. The top layers of the WinkBed Plus mattress should provide a good level of pressure relief so that side sleepers will stay comfortable throughout the night.
Back sleepers should greatly benefit from the firm support of the EliteEdge pocketed coils, and they shouldn't feel absorbed into the bed or fall out of alignment. Additionally, the LumarLayer will also foster optimum back support to enhance your sleep experience.
Most stomach sleepers should find the support they need to keep their hips from digging down too deep and extending their spine out of a neutral position. However, heavier stomach sleepers looking for a little more firmness may want to think about another option, such as the Big Fig.
Sleepers who frequently change positions should never feel stuck, thanks to the responsive foams and pocketed coils. Likewise, the versatility of this hybrid design should be a good fit for combination sleepers who need a balance of pressure relief and support.
Couples who want an option that can meet both of their needs should be very pleased with this model. With great motion isolation, edge support, bounce, and versatility, couples won’t have to compromise on the mattress features that matter most.
Designed to meet the unique needs of heavy and plus-size folks, the WinkBed Plus is a welcomed find. With impression-proof foams, extra support, reinforced coils, latex, and cooling features, this mattress has been highly rated for individuals in heavier weight brackets.
This bed was designed for heavier folks and will likely feel much too firm to individuals below 120 pounds. Lightweight sleepers will struggle to activate the foams and coils, meaning that the entire bed may end up feeling too firm. Plus, they would also not be able to feel the bounce. That being said, if the WinkBed brand strikes your interest, you can opt to purchase this model in the Softer firmness, which is ideal for lighter folks.
If you are over 250 pounds, we highly recommend checking out this model. Its hybrid design has individually wrapped coils that provide support, and foam and latex layers provide ample pressure relief and durability.
With the 120-night, risk-free trial and raving customer reviews, there are plenty of reasons to give this brand a try. WinkBeds Plus fits all sleeping positions, providing ample support, motion isolation, and cooling, which is why it’s such a popular choice among couples and heavier folks.